Monday, January 23, 2012

Nets and names

So I was reading the reading for the other day - the one where Jesus calls Peter and then James and John - all fishermen - and the writer says "they left their nets and followed him" (or something like that).  Before that, it says Peter and them were "in the boat mending their nets" (or something like that).  And it struck me: how much time do I spend "mending my net", or tending to my "net" - what is my "net"?  What is a net?  Something that traps, ensnares, keeps one immobile.  It can also be used as - literally - a "fallback" - a safety that we are ever so sure to have in place before we do anything risky.  Maybe Jesus' call to Peter and them, and to me, is to stop spending so much time repairing my nets - the ones that ensnare me and give me a false sense of security - and just follow Him.  Ok, I will.

Then tonight I was reading Isaiah 43:1-7 (because I had to for work), and God says (and I have to quote this just right): "I have called you by name: you are mine".  I had always read/heard that as God saying, "I have called you by name AND you are mine" or "BECAUSE you are mine".  But tonight I read it as meaning: "I have called you by name: you are mine" as in, your actual name is "mine".  So before I was named "Ken", 37 years ago, I was/am God's.  I like that a lot.  It means we're a lot closer than I realized.  Mmm, good.

1 comment: