Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"Sur-" (above/over) "render" (to give)

I just got back from the second new student orientation Mass.  I was surprised at how energizing it was - I haven't led music at Mass for about a month since I have summers off.  I'm learning more and more to surrender my fears to God - fears of being too "this" or too "that."  The answer seems to lie in surrendering EVERYTHING to God: my thoughts ("good" or "bad"), my actions - for instance, I was singing at Mass tonight and my voice started to give out.  Of course I wasn't "supporting" the way a good singer does, mostly because I don't want to sound like an opera singer when I sing at Mass.  But my voice giving out wasn't really an option either, because I still had to lead the congregation.  So I "surrendered" the whole situation to God in my mind and heart, and the answer came back, "you're singing in praise of God, which is great.  But your job here is to provide a foundation for them to sing, so use your technique to keep your voice from going out."  It was a reminder that my role in Mass - when I'm ministering - is service to the congregation, not to praise/pray in whatever way I want.   And the same old paradox happened again: that serving - putting others' needs first - actually makes me feel better than doing whatever I want to fulfill my own desires - even a desire as good as praying!  Service IS the prayer in that setting for me.  And as always happens when I "hear the word of God and do it", I was affirmed by people coming up to say how much they enjoyed the Mass.  Crazy what happens when we surrender everything to God....

No comments:

Post a Comment