Thursday, March 10, 2011

Being Holy...

I'm not tired, even though it's 12:55am and SVU ended an hour ago, usually triggering my pre-bed ritual and leading to sleep by now.  So after drying some dishes and deciding not to wash the dirty ones, I am forced into a most unusual pastime - reading.

I have a magazine here whose topic in this issue is "the value of the priesthood and religious life."  I start reading, and halfway through the first article I stop because I'm feeling more and more conflicted.  The question arises inside me: how do I live a more and more explicit witness to my beliefs?  How do I let those around me know with more and more confidence that I am someone to be trusted with matters of deep concern, even (dare I say) "spirituality"?  In the past, the answer came: become a priest.  But now that looks less and less likely, which is ok.  But the desire to witness to that degree is still there.  As usual, I think the answer lies in the little things.  I'm trying to re-commit to a vegan diet during Lent (better for my health, the environment, not to mention those animals....  I think that's why I have more energy tonight!) ; even deciding to get back to this blog - maybe someone will read it and take something from it, just as I've taken so much from my friends' points of view (hey Joe - remember our Snake and Jake's conversation?  I've been asking myself ever since then, "what does the Divine within me say?".) 

Anyway, I think these things should be kept short, so there it is.  Let's pray for each other.  More on "prayer" later.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment